Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Happy America > Britain (Aka July 4th) Day!

Default Happy America > Britain (Aka July 4th) Day!

Just wanted to wish everyone a happy 4th, and despite all the crazyness that is going on in the government, this is still a great country to be in =).

Also what better way to celebrate today than with fireworks? So here are some pictures I took a little while ago. Pictures taken on Canon Rebel XSi with EF-S 18-55mm f/4-5.6 at f/9.

[4:50 PM] <Jamie> Also I'm NDA
    [8:49 AM] <Josh> Angry saffy is always angry
    [8:49 AM] <Saffy> ^ that too

Happy Terr....ummm Independence day...

Banned.

Quote Originally Posted by Baghernia View Post
    Happy Terr....ummm Independence day...
    Someone's jellies they didn't see live fireworks.

And also has a small ****. Happy 4th to everyone, especially you, bags. Must suck to not be in the best country in the world.

Seth, those are some very nice pictures, much better than the picture of fireworks in the Daily Jigsaw today. I envy those who got to see live fireworks, and even more those who get to set off their own. There was only one fireworks display in our county and all other fireworks are banned. We are not even allowed to have sparklers.
    Note:Any posts made by this poster should always be construed in the most innocent angelic way possible. The poster is not responsible for where your depraved minds go, if you have a depraved mind.

Our Lady of Croppers ~Semper DOS~ ~Viva Toons~ || This area intentionally left blank. || The two most common elements in the universe are hydrogen and stupidity ~ Harlan Ellison

Those are some quality photos Seth.
    Excuse me for disagreeing that your degeneracy is sacred.

Quote Originally Posted by Seth View Post
    Just wanted to wish everyone a happy 4th, and despite all the crazyness that is going on in the government, this is still a great country to be in =).

Also what better way to celebrate today than with fireworks? So here are some pictures I took a little while ago. Pictures taken on Canon Rebel XSi with EF-S 18-55mm f/4-5.6 at f/9.
    Wow, nice pictures! Great fireworks.

Happy 4th of July everyone!
    <@Darkdragon> I just lost my appetite
    <@Darkdragon>
    <@Darkdragon> 'Cause I saw my brother. :P
    <@Jamie> Your brother doesn't look edible?
    Roflol ^^Jamie

[00:57] * Awayyy gives Darkdragon a cookie
    [00:58] * Darkdragon gives Joshyyy a cookie.
    [00:58] <@Awayyy> Thanks ^^
    ^^Joshyyy

Quote Originally Posted by Flossie Schmumpus View Post
    There was only one fireworks display in our county and all other fireworks are banned. We are not even allowed to have sparklers.
    o.o that's ridiculous. Fireworks are so much fun. ^_^

Anyway, nice fireworks pics Seth. I take it you used a tripod for those? If not you have a veeeery steady hand...
    Quote Originally Posted by Lurk View Post
    Josh: You're a Brit. You can't do anything rite.
    Quote Originally Posted by To Be Somebody View Post
    Reserved for my very negative, hate-filled, prejudiced opinion on what Joshyyy said.

Yeh, you were still a colony for ages then eventually you managed to get it together and throw off a much smaller country..

Well done
    Name says it all.

I almost blew my hand off last night with fireworks....well I probably would've only had severe burns, but blown off sounds cooler to the ladies
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of."
    "Certainly there are things in life that money can't buy, but it's very funny - Did you ever try buying them without money?"
    Ogden Nash

Quote Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
    Yeh, you were still a colony for ages then eventually you managed to get it together and throw off a much smaller country..

Well done
    Actually the British empire was the largest empire by land mass the world has seen throughout history. Not a smaller country, and in no way an easy feat throwing them off.

Learn your own nations history before mocking others.

Quote Originally Posted by nosim View Post
    Actually the British empire was the largest empire by land mass the world has seen throughout history. Not a smaller country, and in no way an easy feat throwing them off.

Learn your own nations history before mocking others.

Through terro...

I think that we should light off fireworks in Britain instead of America for Independance Day.

Quote Originally Posted by Flossie Schmumpus View Post
    Seth, those are some very nice pictures, much better than the picture of fireworks in the Daily Jigsaw today. I envy those who got to see live fireworks, and even more those who get to set off their own. There was only one fireworks display in our county and all other fireworks are banned. We are not even allowed to have sparklers.
    Dam, that's so ******* dumb! This is god damn americca! Hell, id go outt and buy sum theN shhot them off anways. Firewoks really give the forth a nite to rember.

Philosopher Principal Brian Lewis's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Toucan View Post
    Dam, that's so ******* dumb! This is god damn americca! Hell, id go outt and buy sum theN shhot them off anways. Firewoks really give the forth a nite to rember.
    A bunch of places banned them because of how dry it is. People generally prefer to not have raging fires everywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Toucan View Post
    This is god damn americca!

A goddamn American
    "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost."

Quote Originally Posted by Creep-er View Post
    [IM]https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/268441_10150301243519766_611934765_9096185_1112449 _n.jpg[/IMG]

A goddamn American
    Gosh,n that picture is..... I don't undertand why yuo took that picture.creep

Wait? Wasn't it the French that won?

Quote Originally Posted by Kurtz View Post
    Wait? Wasn't it the French that won?
    No, they went bankrupt cuz of that war.

Who sets off fireworks legally?
    "Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are"

Quote Originally Posted by Bambi The Deer View Post
    I almost blew my hand off last night with fireworks....well I probably would've only had severe burns, but blown off sounds cooler to the ladies
    It'd hurt getting burned by a firework.
    Last edited by Darkdragon; 07-05-2011 at 10:32 PM.
    <@Darkdragon> I just lost my appetite
    <@Darkdragon>
    <@Darkdragon> 'Cause I saw my brother. :P
    <@Jamie> Your brother doesn't look edible?
    Roflol ^^Jamie

[00:57] * Awayyy gives Darkdragon a cookie
    [00:58] * Darkdragon gives Joshyyy a cookie.
    [00:58] <@Awayyy> Thanks ^^
    ^^Joshyyy

Quote Originally Posted by sirwolfric View Post
    Pennsylvanians.
    "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost."

Quote Originally Posted by sirwolfric View Post
    A friend of mine from Illinois (and apparently, a lot of the people in her area) does.

Through terro...
    Are you really trying to draw a parallel between a group of international criminals whose primary targets are unarmed, innocent civilians in a faraway country, who pursue ultimately political goals and a group of guerrilla warriors whose primary targets were a well-armed, occupational army from a faraway country, who had ultimately achievable military goals?
    Last edited by The Burninator; 07-05-2011 at 11:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by The Burninator View Post
    Are you really trying to draw a parallel between a group of international criminals whose primary targets are unarmed, innocent civilians in a faraway country, who pursue ultimately political goals and a group of guerrilla warriors whose primary targets were a well-armed, occupational army from a faraway country, who had ultimately achievable military goals?
    To be fair, we were a colony at the time, they were the law of the land, and Britain was the most prestigious country around at the time. So one could say it would be similar to me and a band of like minded folks deciding to raid a national guard armory or something similar. Or breaking onto a container ship filled with products for WalMart shipped from china and then burning them and tossing them into the harbor.

Quote Originally Posted by Joshyyy View Post
    There is some serious misquoting potential above.
    The rep system should be abolished.

Quote Originally Posted by Sirveri View Post
    To be fair, we were a colony at the time, they were the law of the land, and Britain was the most prestigious country around at the time. So one could say it would be similar to me and a band of like minded folks deciding to raid a national guard armory or something similar. Or breaking onto a container ship filled with products for WalMart shipped from china and then burning them and tossing them into the harbor.
    Except that it wouldn't.

You are represented in the US government (albeit imperfectly), while the colonists were not represented in Britain's. Also, Walmart is not reaping massive profits by charging high prices to the consumer with a government-given monopoly, while the British tea companies in question were. Therefore, the main complaints that the colonists had against Britain would not exist in your case.

Except that it wouldn't.

You are represented in the US government (albeit imperfectly), while the colonists were not represented in Britain's. Also, Walmart is not reaping massive profits by charging high prices to the consumer with a government-given monopoly, while the British tea companies in question were. Therefore, the main complaints that the colonists had against Britain would not exist in your case.
    What if from my point of view, it was the same, would I then be justified?

Does personal perspective matter?

Except that it wouldn't.

Its all relative, you're choosing to judge what happened then by today's standards.

Kinda like getting pixxxy when Russia supplies arms to rebels/dictators, but having no problems when the US does the same.

Or breaking onto a container ship filled with products for WalMart shipped from china and then burning them and tossing them into the harbor.
    No, no, no. It would be more like vandalizing a power company or telecom that has a government-approved monopoly; I don't think any telecoms have government-approved monopolies anymore, but I'm pretty sure that a number of power companies still do.

Its all relative, you're choosing to judge what happened then by today's standards.
    Not really. There's a simple, unbiased, and fairly easy-to-spot difference between terrorists and freedom fighters, which I've explained to you before. However, you have made it abundantly clear that you have too much of a hard-on for baseless America-bashing to ever engage in a reasonable discussion, so I won't waste my time pointing it out to you again.

Kinda like getting pixxxy when Russia supplies arms to rebels/dictators, but having no problems when the US does the same.
    False. I oppose in both circumstances.

If you can't see the difference between a group of criminals whose primary targets are unarmed civilians and a group of guerrilla fighters whose only targets were military personnel, then I really can't help you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Woden View Post
    (Pure win)
    Thank you Woden, I thought I was going to have to do that all by myself.
    What if from my point of view, it was the same, would I then be justified?
    Then your point of view would be inconsistent with objective facts.

I can see the difference. And the US has supported rebels who targeted civilians...

But I don't judge what was done in the past with today's perception.

You're also taking the extreme that all "terrorist" purely targets civilians, and not the reason why they target civilians ie to many Settlers in the Occupied West Bank are not innocent civilians.

Targeting civilians are the modern day effort of the weak to disrupt a more powerful enemy.

Its pretty arrogant to expect an opposition that is much weaker to fight on your terms...

WW2 there was a lot of bombing of civilians... the"bomb" was dropped on two cities...

People do what ever they can to win.... like changing the definition of torture....

I've generally ignored the Woden of the current age, he seems to have gone from the an enlightened/perceptive teenager into a bitter close minded 20? year old.

If you don't believe me, look at his posts from a few years back to current form.... he's degenerated a lot in those few years. There's a reason he was the "favorite mod"

Consul

So, according to Bag, our country's roots can be attributed to the actions of "terrorists". I'll counter by saying his country's roots can be attributed to the actions of miscreants, murderers, thieves, prostitutes and rapists.

Quote Originally Posted by jdurand View Post
    So, according to Bag, our country's roots can be attributed to the actions of "terrorists". I'll counter by saying his country's roots can be attributed to the actions of miscreants, murderers, thieves, prostitutes and rapists.
    I guess it wasn't obvious, but I was trolling.

But the effort to differentiate from modern day terrorist is pretty arrogant.

I don't mind.

And the US has supported rebels who targeted civilians...
    You're mixing issues. I'm just as against that as you.
    You're also taking the extreme that all "terrorist" purely targets civilians, and not the reason why they target civilians ie to many Settlers in the Occupied West Bank are not innocent civilians.
    Terrorism: The use of violence and intimidation in the pursuit of political aims

The terrorist must strike fear into the hearts of the civilian population. Do the math. Their primary targets must be civilians. Whether or not the civilians are innocent is beside the point.
    Targeting civilians are the modern day effort of the weak to disrupt a more powerful enemy.

Its pretty arrogant to expect an opposition that is much weaker to fight on your terms...
    Right, because the American colonists were a match for the British army. (Oh look, they won without resorting to targeting British civilians. Fancy that.)
    WW2 there was a lot of bombing of civilians... the"bomb" was dropped on two cities...
    Once again, you're avoiding the topic of discussion. And again, you're bringing up topics where it is obvious that I agree with you, which doesn't make it any more pertinent.
    7) Causing unnecessary civilian casualties by 'strategic bombing' to 'weaken the resolve' of the German war effort.
    Had any other nation in the world ever used a nuclear weapon, it would have been considered a war crime. The civilian casualties, as far as I'm concerned, are totally not justified by the end it achieved.
    (The rest of that thread)

Seriously, you're diverting from the main issue, which is that your comparison between freedom fighters and terrorists is a failure.
    People do what ever they can to win.... like changing the definition of torture....
    And that doesn't make it right, nor does it have to do with terrorism.
    I've generally ignored the Woden of the current age, he seems to have gone from the an enlightened/perceptive teenager into a bitter close minded 20? year old.
    There is a large difference between closed-mindedness and little tolerance for sweeping, un-backed statements intended to discredit an entire group of people (ie trolling).

Consul

But the effort to differentiate from modern day terrorist is pretty arrogant.
    I disagree. Like Burnie, I don't see any parallel between 1770's-era colonists and 2000-era extremists.

Banned.

Bags seems like someone who doesn't understand the difference between a revolution and a revolt.

Revolts are put down.

Quote Originally Posted by Trouble View Post

Well done
    Ya I think the motto was "The sun is always set in the british empire"
    Quote Originally Posted by Rokchick View Post
    OMG, Wodey found a woman who agrees with him. He must be right, cos all women are always right all the time.

Then your point of view would be inconsistent with objective facts.
    But that's not really what I asked was it. Even if your POV is demonstrably wrong, is it acceptable to use the techniques employed? It has been declared to be 'just' however, like Baron said, the difference between a rebellion and a revolution, is that one affects real change, while the other tends to simply be crushed. If I thought I was being oppressed, wouldn't I be justified in seeking to rectify that oppression, and if from my POV there were insufficient legitimate legal remedies, would I not be justified in my use of force?

No, no, no. It would be more like vandalizing a power company or telecom that has a government-approved monopoly; I don't think any telecoms have government-approved monopolies anymore, but I'm pretty sure that a number of power companies still do.
    Because of the sheer size and market saturation of WalMart, I consider them to basically be a monopolistic enterprise. They actually are considered to be a monopsony, which is similar but not quite the same. Either way, making a direct comparison wasn't really the point or thrust of my argument.

Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Ya I think the motto was "The sun is always set in the british empire"
    "The sun never sets on the British Empire," actually.

"The sun never sets on the British Empire," actually.
    I think he was making a play on the reference to the earlier post of England being a smaller nation than the 13 colonies at the time of the American revolution.

The country with the world's longest official name

The only reason they didn't harm civilians was because all of them were colonists