Thread: Portal: No Escape

Default Portal: No Escape

It's only been on youtube for two days and there's talk from the geek world of funding the director Dan Trachtenburg to produce a feature-length film.

Do you think it's a good idea? Would you go see it?

I would torrent the **** out of that thing if that's what you are asking.

Also, I found the thing boring as ****. I ended up skipping through almost all of it so I could get to the end.
    Yeah, I'm kind of a big deal.

Well I think it is a great plot, but I don't really see the concept.

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
    I ended up skipping through almost all of it so I could get to the end.
    And that's the problem with a movie based on Portal. The first game has just three characters (Chell, GLaDOS, Ratman). Only one of those speaks and you never see the third. There's no plot to turn into an engaging movie. It's basically going to be like the movie Cube, except Cube had the benefit of multiple characters.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Chak View Post
    Let me tell you, used tranny fluid tastes nasty.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cora View Post
    I know I do a lot of the finger

Well, they basically destroyed a bunch of the art style and back story behind aperture.
    Point 1: People.
    All people are dead with the exception of Chell, ratman and possibly a random straggler here and there. There would not be a bunch of organized people chasing anyone anywhere. Could be a prequel but that doesn't make much sense.
    Point 2: Food drop
    Aperture loves chutes. They would use a chute, and it would be comical and get everywhere because the food would be badly packaged. They wouldn't have a person (who doesn't exist) open a panel. If they were going to open a panel, it would be done by a robot.
    Point 3: Portal gun delivery
    It's always done inside the test chambers. And though it's odd, the test chambers are always fairly clearly labeled as such, except of course when you break out of them in game. But they have at least been consistent.
    Point 4: Flinging
    Chell has cyber leg struts to absorb impacts, this chick does not and should be a smear on the rooftop.

To tie it all together: I suppose it could work as a prequel, but that doesn't make much sense. Aperture wasn't kidnapping people, they were using company employees at the end of the last game. Sure they could have changed once Cave died and started kidnapping people, but why? Just revert back to paying bums 50 dollars, less legal risk and probably cheaper. Also it's missing a big element of the game, humor. Portal is dark, but it's a dark comedy, not the stereotypical 'grim' dark BS everyone wants to push because they think it's cool and trendy. None of the scenes had any of that. Also, why a barcode, this isn't hitman. And what about the freaking orange prison jumpsuit, that was iconic. I thought the portal effect itself was pretty cool looking, but the rest of it just sounds like someone who heard the concept but never saw it in execution.

Quote Originally Posted by Joshyyy View Post
    There is some serious misquoting potential above.
    The rep system should be abolished.

Where's teh cake!?

Quote Originally Posted by Sirveri View Post
    Point 4: Flinging
    Chell has cyber leg struts to absorb impacts, this chick does not and should be a smear on the rooftop.
    It's funny how adding the leg struts suddenly made everyone accept Chell falling hundreds of feet without hurting herself.

I agree that there were definitely a lot of things in the short film that were different from the game, but I also still think it was ******* awesome. And I think a movie would only be loosely based on the first game. i.e. the actual running of the tests would only be a small part of it, I would think that a movie would have more of a plot.

I wonder if Chell would be mute in the movie?

Quote Originally Posted by Jacana View Post
    I agree that there were definitely a lot of things in the short film that were different from the game, but I also still think it was ******* awesome. And I think a movie would only be loosely based on the first game. i.e. the actual running of the tests would only be a small part of it, I would think that a movie would have more of a plot.

I wonder if Chell would be mute in the movie?
    It'll be like the Mario Brothers movie with John Leguizamo as Luigi.

Quote Originally Posted by StealthSigma View Post
    And that's the problem with a movie based on Portal. The first game has just three characters (Chell, GLaDOS, Ratman). Only one of those speaks and you never see the third. There's no plot to turn into an engaging movie. It's basically going to be like the movie Cube, except Cube had the benefit of multiple characters.
    Do you really think Hollywood feels any particular obligation to keep true to the story, especially when the story is never going to work as a movie?

Just saying, but the art changes I see will actually help with the visual appeal of a movie based on Portal. Still leaves a lot of questions, but I think this has potential.

Consul

Didn't they already do something similar with The Cube?

Quote Originally Posted by jdurand View Post
    Didn't they already do something similar with The Cube?
    Similar but different. With The Cube it was a giant structure that constantly shifted (predefined pattern) and the people (multiple) had to figure how to get out. Portal features a homicidal AI trying to kill you (singular) through testing.

If you add more actors, then you end up with The Cube but with a homicidal AI controlling everything.

I think that a movie based on Portal is an interesting concept... however I don't think they got it right in that short film. As it was mentioned, in both games Chell is the only human in the Aperture Laboratories... so she shouldn't have encountered armed guards.

I think it would have been a lot better if she had encountered GLaDOS, Wheatley and/or turrets. They basically could have told the same story they did in the short but have stayed true to the game.

That being said... I liked that they took the time to show the weighted companion cubes on the other side of the wall.

s1r5: That Guy
    s1r4: I Luv Me

Banned.

I'd watch it with a better director, better editing, better writing and a hotter chick.

Quote Originally Posted by Baron D'Holbach View Post
    I'd watch it with a better director, better editing, better writing and a hotter chick.
    Everything is at least marginally better with a hotter chick.

Banned.

Everything is at least marginally better with a hotter chick.
    For some reason, I'm now thinking of a hot chick covered in margarine or butter.

Quote Originally Posted by Baron D'Holbach View Post
    For some reason, I'm now thinking of a hot chick covered in margarine or butter.
    Raspberry Vinaigrette dressing.

It's funny how adding the leg struts suddenly made everyone accept Chell falling hundreds of feet without hurting herself.
    True, though I think it was thousands. But at least then you can just say that it's magic.

Main thing they did wrong was making it grim dark instead of a dark comedy. There wasn't any comedic anything in the entire short. Maybe they should get the dudes who wrote the first season of Breaking bad in on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Joshyyy View Post
    There is some serious misquoting potential above.
    The rep system should be abolished.

Now that's what I call "scraping the bottom of the barrel".
    I'd watch it anyway though.

I thought it was nice in a way to portray an early entrance of Chell into aperture. Who is to say there wasn't other previous testing and such before Glados when there were other humans in the labs?
    [4:50 PM] <Jamie> Also I'm NDA
    [8:49 AM] <Josh> Angry saffy is always angry
    [8:49 AM] <Saffy> ^ that too

Quote Originally Posted by Sirveri View Post
    True, though I think it was thousands. But at least then you can just say that it's magic.
    Initially, her character model didn't not have the cyberleg enhancements which drew outcries of "THIS ISN'T POSSIBLE." Then she got the cyber leg enhancements, which at best would have allowed falls of 50 feet, and the cries silence even though it's easily possible in the first game to fall hundreds of feet and there's a scene in 2nd game where you probably fall a mile.

--

Quote Originally Posted by Seth View Post
    I thought it was nice in a way to portray an early entrance of Chell into aperture. Who is to say there wasn't other previous testing and such before Glados when there were other humans in the labs?
    Between Portal and Portal 2 and some other media put out by valve, we pretty much know most of the back story of what went on prior to the events of the first Portal.

For instance, we know that Chell is the daughter of an employee at Aperture. We know from GLaDOS herself that she flooded the enrichment center with deadly neurotoxin to kill many people which elicited a response to install a morality core in her to prevent her from flooding the enrichment center with deadly neurotoxin.