Results 1 to 21 of 21

Thread: Portal: No Escape

  1. #1
    Philosopher Jacana's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Solving Agatha Christie's problems.
    Posts
    11,514

    Default Portal: No Escape



    It's only been on youtube for two days and there's talk from the geek world of funding the director Dan Trachtenburg to produce a feature-length film.

    Do you think it's a good idea? Would you go see it?

  2. #2
    Philosopher Fuzzy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    <insert something witty here>
    Posts
    9,247

    Default

    I would torrent the **** out of that thing if that's what you are asking.

    Also, I found the thing boring as ****. I ended up skipping through almost all of it so I could get to the end.
    Yeah, I'm kind of a big deal.

  3. #3

    Default

    Well I think it is a great plot, but I don't really see the concept.

  4. #4

    StealthSigma's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Cocoon
    Posts
    7,510

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
    I ended up skipping through almost all of it so I could get to the end.
    And that's the problem with a movie based on Portal. The first game has just three characters (Chell, GLaDOS, Ratman). Only one of those speaks and you never see the third. There's no plot to turn into an engaging movie. It's basically going to be like the movie Cube, except Cube had the benefit of multiple characters.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Chak View Post
    Let me tell you, used tranny fluid tastes nasty.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cora View Post
    I know I do a lot of the finger

  5. #5
    Consul Sirveri's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    California
    Posts
    6,241

    Default

    Well, they basically destroyed a bunch of the art style and back story behind aperture.
    Point 1: People.
    All people are dead with the exception of Chell, ratman and possibly a random straggler here and there. There would not be a bunch of organized people chasing anyone anywhere. Could be a prequel but that doesn't make much sense.
    Point 2: Food drop
    Aperture loves chutes. They would use a chute, and it would be comical and get everywhere because the food would be badly packaged. They wouldn't have a person (who doesn't exist) open a panel. If they were going to open a panel, it would be done by a robot.
    Point 3: Portal gun delivery
    It's always done inside the test chambers. And though it's odd, the test chambers are always fairly clearly labeled as such, except of course when you break out of them in game. But they have at least been consistent.
    Point 4: Flinging
    Chell has cyber leg struts to absorb impacts, this chick does not and should be a smear on the rooftop.

    To tie it all together: I suppose it could work as a prequel, but that doesn't make much sense. Aperture wasn't kidnapping people, they were using company employees at the end of the last game. Sure they could have changed once Cave died and started kidnapping people, but why? Just revert back to paying bums 50 dollars, less legal risk and probably cheaper. Also it's missing a big element of the game, humor. Portal is dark, but it's a dark comedy, not the stereotypical 'grim' dark BS everyone wants to push because they think it's cool and trendy. None of the scenes had any of that. Also, why a barcode, this isn't hitman. And what about the freaking orange prison jumpsuit, that was iconic. I thought the portal effect itself was pretty cool looking, but the rest of it just sounds like someone who heard the concept but never saw it in execution.

    Quote Originally Posted by Joshyyy View Post
    There is some serious misquoting potential above.
    The rep system should be abolished.

  6. #6
    Philosopher Toucan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    **** Travian.
    Posts
    1,914

    Default

    Where's teh cake!?

  7. #7

    StealthSigma's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Cocoon
    Posts
    7,510

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sirveri View Post
    Point 4: Flinging
    Chell has cyber leg struts to absorb impacts, this chick does not and should be a smear on the rooftop.
    It's funny how adding the leg struts suddenly made everyone accept Chell falling hundreds of feet without hurting herself.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Chak View Post
    Let me tell you, used tranny fluid tastes nasty.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cora View Post
    I know I do a lot of the finger

  8. #8
    Philosopher Jacana's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Solving Agatha Christie's problems.
    Posts
    11,514

    Default

    I agree that there were definitely a lot of things in the short film that were different from the game, but I also still think it was ******* awesome. And I think a movie would only be loosely based on the first game. i.e. the actual running of the tests would only be a small part of it, I would think that a movie would have more of a plot.

    I wonder if Chell would be mute in the movie?

  9. #9

    StealthSigma's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Cocoon
    Posts
    7,510

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jacana View Post
    I agree that there were definitely a lot of things in the short film that were different from the game, but I also still think it was ******* awesome. And I think a movie would only be loosely based on the first game. i.e. the actual running of the tests would only be a small part of it, I would think that a movie would have more of a plot.

    I wonder if Chell would be mute in the movie?
    It'll be like the Mario Brothers movie with John Leguizamo as Luigi.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Chak View Post
    Let me tell you, used tranny fluid tastes nasty.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cora View Post
    I know I do a lot of the finger

  10. #10
    Philosopher Hidden sage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    A college library
    Posts
    4,454

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by StealthSigma View Post
    And that's the problem with a movie based on Portal. The first game has just three characters (Chell, GLaDOS, Ratman). Only one of those speaks and you never see the third. There's no plot to turn into an engaging movie. It's basically going to be like the movie Cube, except Cube had the benefit of multiple characters.
    Do you really think Hollywood feels any particular obligation to keep true to the story, especially when the story is never going to work as a movie?

    Just saying, but the art changes I see will actually help with the visual appeal of a movie based on Portal. Still leaves a lot of questions, but I think this has potential.

  11. #11
    Consul
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    9,816

    Default

    Didn't they already do something similar with The Cube?

  12. #12

    StealthSigma's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Cocoon
    Posts
    7,510

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jdurand View Post
    Didn't they already do something similar with The Cube?
    Similar but different. With The Cube it was a giant structure that constantly shifted (predefined pattern) and the people (multiple) had to figure how to get out. Portal features a homicidal AI trying to kill you (singular) through testing.

    If you add more actors, then you end up with The Cube but with a homicidal AI controlling everything.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Chak View Post
    Let me tell you, used tranny fluid tastes nasty.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cora View Post
    I know I do a lot of the finger

  13. #13
    Merchant mitachuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    1,029

    Default

    I think that a movie based on Portal is an interesting concept... however I don't think they got it right in that short film. As it was mentioned, in both games Chell is the only human in the Aperture Laboratories... so she shouldn't have encountered armed guards.

    I think it would have been a lot better if she had encountered GLaDOS, Wheatley and/or turrets. They basically could have told the same story they did in the short but have stayed true to the game.

    That being said... I liked that they took the time to show the weighted companion cubes on the other side of the wall.

    s1r5: That Guy
    s1r4: I Luv Me

  14. #14
    Banned.
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    20,773

    Default

    I'd watch it with a better director, better editing, better writing and a hotter chick.

  15. #15

    StealthSigma's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Cocoon
    Posts
    7,510

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Baron D'Holbach View Post
    I'd watch it with a better director, better editing, better writing and a hotter chick.
    Everything is at least marginally better with a hotter chick.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Chak View Post
    Let me tell you, used tranny fluid tastes nasty.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cora View Post
    I know I do a lot of the finger

  16. #16
    Banned.
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    20,773

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by StealthSigma View Post
    Everything is at least marginally better with a hotter chick.
    For some reason, I'm now thinking of a hot chick covered in margarine or butter.

  17. #17

    StealthSigma's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Cocoon
    Posts
    7,510

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Baron D'Holbach View Post
    For some reason, I'm now thinking of a hot chick covered in margarine or butter.
    Raspberry Vinaigrette dressing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Chak View Post
    Let me tell you, used tranny fluid tastes nasty.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cora View Post
    I know I do a lot of the finger

  18. #18
    Consul Sirveri's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    California
    Posts
    6,241

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by StealthSigma View Post
    It's funny how adding the leg struts suddenly made everyone accept Chell falling hundreds of feet without hurting herself.
    True, though I think it was thousands. But at least then you can just say that it's magic.

    Main thing they did wrong was making it grim dark instead of a dark comedy. There wasn't any comedic anything in the entire short. Maybe they should get the dudes who wrote the first season of Breaking bad in on it.

    Quote Originally Posted by Joshyyy View Post
    There is some serious misquoting potential above.
    The rep system should be abolished.

  19. #19

    Default

    Now that's what I call "scraping the bottom of the barrel".
    I'd watch it anyway though.

  20. #20

    Default

    I thought it was nice in a way to portray an early entrance of Chell into aperture. Who is to say there wasn't other previous testing and such before Glados when there were other humans in the labs?
    [4:50 PM] <Jamie> Also I'm NDA
    [8:49 AM] <Josh> Angry saffy is always angry
    [8:49 AM] <Saffy> ^ that too

  21. #21

    StealthSigma's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Cocoon
    Posts
    7,510

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sirveri View Post
    True, though I think it was thousands. But at least then you can just say that it's magic.
    Initially, her character model didn't not have the cyberleg enhancements which drew outcries of "THIS ISN'T POSSIBLE." Then she got the cyber leg enhancements, which at best would have allowed falls of 50 feet, and the cries silence even though it's easily possible in the first game to fall hundreds of feet and there's a scene in 2nd game where you probably fall a mile.

    --

    Quote Originally Posted by Seth View Post
    I thought it was nice in a way to portray an early entrance of Chell into aperture. Who is to say there wasn't other previous testing and such before Glados when there were other humans in the labs?
    Between Portal and Portal 2 and some other media put out by valve, we pretty much know most of the back story of what went on prior to the events of the first Portal.

    For instance, we know that Chell is the daughter of an employee at Aperture. We know from GLaDOS herself that she flooded the enrichment center with deadly neurotoxin to kill many people which elicited a response to install a morality core in her to prevent her from flooding the enrichment center with deadly neurotoxin.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Chak View Post
    Let me tell you, used tranny fluid tastes nasty.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cora View Post
    I know I do a lot of the finger

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •